The Importance of Your Teaching Resume
According to USA Today there are as many as 400 to 600 applications to a single teaching post in primary education. So if this is where you are applying you may find that your chances of getting selected for an interview are very slim indeed.
Recruiters with this many resumes to review are not going to spend forever reviewing your information to try to make you match their expectations. They can spend as little as just 6 seconds looking at your resume and if they do not see precisely the experience, qualifications and other information that they are looking for then they will be straight onto the next applicant and your resume will be discarded.
So how you write your resume and the information that you provide and where it is located is going to be of great importance to your chance of being invited for an interview. You will want to access all of the advice and other help that you can find to help you to understand better how your resume should be written for a successful application.
Use a Sample of Resume for Teacher Applications
Examples of teacher resumes are often an ideal way to understand just how your own application should look. By looking at a successful teacher sample resume that is relevant to your application you can see what has worked for others. The types of formatting that works, how the sections should be organized and of course what should actually be written. A good sample resume for a teacher will provide you with a huge amount of guidance for writing your own.
Tips for Writing the Best School Teacher Resume
If you want to get a chance of being interviewed then you are going to have to clearly demonstrate to the recruiter that you are qualified perfectly for the post. Firstly this will mean that you need to carefully identify what their needs are and how you meet them:
- Review the advert and also the school website and other documentation to clearly identify what they are looking for in the way of qualifications, experience, and skills.
- Rank these requirements as to what you feel is the most important to the recruiter so that it is clear to you what you need to show them.
- Match your own skills and achievements to those requirements; if you are lacking you may wish to consider selecting a different job to apply to if you know that you will face stiff competition.
- List your own qualifications and achievements in the relevant section of your resume in the order relevant to the recruiter so that they see the most important information first.
- When writing achievements or demonstrating a skill do not just simply state them; provide clear examples and where possible illustrate with figure such as the percentage improvement in pass rates.
How you present that information is just as important as what you actually say. If the recruiter cannot immediately see the information that you have written then you are not going to get the success that you are looking for:
- Resume should be between 1 and 2 pages in length only so as not to overload the recruiter with excessive information.
- Use an easy to read 12 point font so that your writing is easy to read.
- Allow blank space before each section so that their eyes are drawn there to start reading.
- Avoid any form of decoration or excessive formatting of text; bolding the section headings is generally enough.
- Do not use any clichés within your writing.
- Avoid the use of acronyms and slang.
- Proofread your writing very carefully, a single mistake can see your resume dismissed.
Also remember as Candace Davies says you will also need to show:
Your resume needs to communicate your commitment to student success, teaching and learning,” she says. “It needs to show that you’re in the classroom for the right reasons.
If you are struggling with your resume writing then our expert teacher resume creator is here to help you.
To get your application to standard of any good sample of resume for teacher jobs just contact our experts here today for help that you can trust!
Images credit: easyresumesamples.com, resume-resource.com